Monday, June 30, 2008

Composting

So, I'm trying my hand at composting. I've never done it before, so any advice is welcome! I'm using a wooden box, probably about 2x3' with plenty of space between the slats for aeration. I threw in a bunch of twigs, weeds, dead leaves and some food scraps, along with a compost maker I bought at the hardware store. Good times.

I'm also trying to grow some plant cuttings I took from my mom this weekend. So far they're holding up okay. They're in dirt right now, so I won't be able to tell if they've taken root until they start growing a bit.

Oh yes, and yesterday was my sister's 25th birthday. Happy Birthday to you!


**UPDATE: Shout-out to Brian, whose birthday was also yesterday. Though, it was definitely not his 25th :-) Happy Birthday, man! (And sorry about the pic, but I couldn't resist!) Holla!

How could you ever regret this?! At least it wasn't Brian Slim Goodbody, eh?

6 comments:

  1. my birthday was yesterday too, where's my shoutout?

    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling I'm gonna regret my previous comment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love compost. I really do.

    You need 3 basic components. -And skip the starter and get yourself some beer, (drink some and then use some for a good starter).

    Green Stuff, (grass clippings, weeds, leaves, straw etc...)
    Food scraps, (no dairy or meat)
    Manure, (yup, poop from an animal with more stomachs than you -goat, chicken, cow, horse, yak...).

    Layer these things together and let them sit, (sometimes layers are impractical -no big deal). Turn them with a shovel to thoroughly mix them every couple of weeks, (again, doesn't have to be an exact science).

    What you want in your pile is heat. When you stick your hand in it -it should feel hot once it gets started. That's how you know living things are working in there and breaking things down. The more heat you have the quicker it breaks down into lovely crumbly compost. Adjusting the levels of your basic parts can alter how much heat you get. Manure heats up a pile pretty quickly.

    Now, you don't have to have all three parts. It will break down without manure, for example, it will just take longer. So if you are lacking some of the parts or the perfect combination if you are patient you will end up with good results regardless.

    My piles take about a year to fully develop and I have loads of manure. -But very cold winters which slow my piles down for a good 7 months.

    So, steal your neighbors food scraps, leaves, grass clippings, whatever you can find and get that pile cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the awesome advice! I'll get right on that beer solution today :-) Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to "meet" you too. :) -Any other questions, feel free to ask. I like to help, (teacher in me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fellow teacher -- fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...