Thursday, June 05, 2008

Milestones

"We've had difficult times in the past. We will have difficult times in the future. It is not the end of violence; it is not the end of lawlessness; it is not the end of disorder."

Robert F. Kennedy, April 3rd 1968


Forty years ago today, presidential hopeful Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated in California.

I'm not old enough to have been alive at this time and to have experienced the height of the Kennedy family. I don't remember even studying Bobby Kennedy in high school. A few touches
here and there in my college courses, at most.

But I have always viewed Bobby Kennedy as a man of hope and inspiration. Much more so than his older brother, even. When I think of idealism, I think of Bobby Kennedy. When I think of a
man who really cared about and meant what he said and who he was speaking to, I think of him. When I think of someone who fought with everything he had, even to his death, to advance human rights for everyone, I think of Bobby Kennedy. I would love to have been able to meet him.

Please don't forget his legacy. Much of what he fought for has actually been realized, but we cannot be complacent. We cannot forget about him or what he stood for. The danger is not past. There is still so much to fight for.

I continue to dream, and I continue to hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...