Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blog Series: Why I'm a Liberal

In the next few days, I'm going to write up some reasons I call myself a liberal (politically, socially, fiscally... however you want to slice it). I've had a list put together for a couple of months with the intention of doing this mini blog series. However, with the new school year starting around the exact same time, my computer writing time dropped significantly. I don't really feel like sitting in front of a computer screen when I get home!

In fact, I'm not even starting the series tonight. Tomorrow. But no promises :-)

However, here's a preview of my list:

I am a Liberal because I believe in:
  • public interest over self interest
  • equality of opportunity
  • separation of church and state
  • civil rights for everyone
  • diplomacy before war
  • government transparency
  • being my brothers' and sisters' keeper

By the way, I'm really excited because Bill Richardson is coming to the high school where I teach tomorrow afternoon for an Economic Town Hall. In my cafeteria. Wahoo! I'm excited to meet him.

3 comments:

  1. Santos: "It's true. Republicans have tried to turn liberal into a bad word. Well, liberals ended slavery in this country."

    Vinnick: "A Republican President ended slavery."

    Santos: "Yes, a liberal Republican, Senator. What happened to them? They got run out of your party. What did liberals do that was so offensive to the liberal party? I'll tell you what they did. Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things every one. So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator. Because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."

    ReplyDelete
  2. President Andrew Shepherd: For the record: Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the A.C.L.U. But the more important question is why aren't you, Bob? This is an organization whose sole purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights, so it naturally begs the questions.

    Why would a senator, his party's most powerful spokesman and a candidate for president, choose to reject upholding the Constitution? If you can answer that question, then, folks, you're smarter than I am, because I didn't understand it until a couple of minutes ago. Everybody knows American isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship

    You gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating, at the top of his lungs, that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free, then the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest." Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lawrence O'Donnell wrote the West Wing debate....

    Aaron Sorkin wrote the American President....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...