Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day (aka: The Party)

Today we got out school early because of the snow. It was supposed to keep snowing through the evening, but it's already stopped. This does not bode well for my hope of a two-hour delay tomorrow!

Since I left school WAY earlier than I have been for the last two weeks, I went to the gym. By the time I got home, the snow had stopped, so I decided to also shovel the sidewalk and driveway. WOW, we have a looong driveway! It wasn't too bad, though, because it was the really fluffy snow, so it wasn't too heavy et cetera.


Okay, so this is a shout-out to Lauren. Holla! When we were in high school French, we watched this fantastic movie every year called La Boum.

From IMDB:
13 years old Vic is new in her high school; soon she makes friends with Penelope. Together they check out the guys in quest for a great love. But Vic's parents are their handicap, since they won't allow her to attend the "boum", a big party. But with some help of grandma Poupette it works out anyways and Vic falls in love with Matthieu. At the same time her parent's marriage is on the edge when her father's ex-girlfriend demands a last night together.
Oh, how we loved La Boum! Such drama! Such angst!

I don't remember too many scenes from the movie. What I do remember, though... 1) Vic talking on the phone with a REALLY long cord; 2) at the movie theater when one of the boys puts his wang inside the box of popcorn so the girl sharing the popcorn with him touches it; and 3) the HUGE poster Vic puts up in her room of the boy she loves. BUT, I can't remember if that's the first boy or the second. Angst, I tell you!

I was just looking over the comments on IMDB about it, and this one could have been written by anyone in MY French class!!
This was also a classic for us in my high school; we would demand to see this film year after year. It's one of the fondest memories we have of our French class - both entertaining and educational (what a great way to learn French!) - and well-liked by both genders, unlike the 80s teenage girl movies made in the U.S. There is something about this movie that compels one to watch it over and over again.
OH! And this very 80s song played over and over again throughout the movie. Dreams are my reality... I can still see Vic dancing at the party to it with her new love.

Good times.

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE YouTube.


2 comments:

  1. Haha, I think this was the best blog post ever! Ah, memories. You did, however, forget to mention the part where she pretends to make out with her father.

    I hope French classes today are still watching this movie. Really.

    Also, I feel old... all because you mentioned shoveling your driveway. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this movie, what a blast from the past!!! I loved that movie. Thanks for the great memory.
    We got hit with a huge storm, snow day and all. I'm like a big kid with snow days, as I'm off from work.
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...