Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tagging games

From my cousin JAG's blog.

Pick the 6th folder and 6th picture in your computer picture files and blog about it.

Oh, nice. This is Masha (and Guram in the background). They were a couple of my students when I taught English in Moscow, Russia 5 years ago.

This was during our last week there. I had a really hard time with these kids when I first arrived. In college, I NEVER thought I wanted to be a teacher. I studied history because I love it, but planned to go to grad school and do ANYTHING with my degree besides teach.

So why, then, did I choose to teach English in another country after I finished college? Well, I wasn't ready for more schooling, yet, and I love to travel. That's why I went.

My first few weeks, I hated it. It was freezing (we arrived in January), I was tired (turns out I overdosed on the motion sickness patch I took on the trip over... it was really bad... as in, hallucinating, can't remember full hours of time in the first couple of weeks, etc.), and the kids were maniacs. Really. I couldn't control them.

But, then I fell in love with them.

And when I got back to the States and started working a "regular" job, I hated it. I missed the students. I wanted more. So, I went to grad school, after all... for Education. I've never regretted the decision.

Oh, and wow, I look really skinny here.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you went to Russia. Your experience sounded alot like my experience when we went to India. At first I couldn't believe what Grant had gotten us all into, but by the end I was sad to leave all the great friends that we made while we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. learn something new about you all the time...how exciting to have been in russia.

    i'm sure your students love having you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post (and photo). I'm glad you went into education, I love how much you care about your students.
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED RUSSIA! I still miss it all the time. I am going on a cruise in 3 weeks, but it won't be near as fun as the one we went on. I have nothing to compare that cruise to yet, so in my mind- it was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tricia Squisha: Um, NOTHING could beat our Baltic cruise!

    - Here's a tip: the midnight show is beginning.

    - The Greatest Song in the World

    - Our drunk Finlandian friends... totally don't remember their names

    - Um, Ace of Base, anyone? What a pathetic attempt at karaoke :-)

    - David, the dancing Colombian

    I can't believe I just remember all that!

    Sigh, good times :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...