Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections on the decade: Me vs Me

December 31, 1999
  • I was 17 and a senior in high school
  • I had lived in Klamath Falls, OR for about 5 months
  • I was still trying to decide where I wanted to apply to college and what my major would be, but was enjoying the accounting class I took that year
  • I had been dating my boyfriend, Justin, for about 4 months (little did I know he'd turn out to be a big mistake)
  • I thought I might marry him someday
  • I was Mormon, but not interested in going to BYU
  • I didn't know a lot of people in town
  • I had long, blonde hair; my ears were pierced but I never wore earrings
  • I weighed about 115 lbs (wowza!)
  • I played tennis a lot
  • I didn't plan on going on a mission, because I figured I'd probably be married by 21
  • I listened to a lot of country music
  • I shared a purple, 1994 Mitsubishi Mirage with my sister
  • My bedroom had orange, shag carpet
  • I didn't have a job
  • My sisters and I didn't get along very well
  • On New Year's Eve, my boyfriend and I skipped out on the youth dance and sat in the car by the lake talking. We kissed at midnight. It was a rather anti-climatic way to enter the new millennium (though we may debate whether that happened this year or the next!)
December 31, 2009
  • I am 27 and a high school teacher
  • I have lived in northern VA for 5 1/2 years
  • I have a Master of Education in Secondary Social Studies from GWU
  • I have been with my husband, Eric, for 4 1/2 years
  • We got married this October
  • I'm no longer Mormon, and much prefer my life as an atheist
  • I've branched out beyond just my friendships with Eric's friends to include even more wonderful people into our lives
  • My hair is short and I change the color every few months (I'm thinking of going black this week!); I have the regular pierced ears (which I decorate every day), in addition to the upper cartilage in my left ear and my nose; I also have a tattoo on my back
  • I weigh... much more than I did in high school (160!) (but I also have bigger boobs, now!)
  • I don't play tennis much anymore, but I enjoy running with my greyhound a couple of times a week
  • I'm very happy I didn't get married until I was 27, because I wouldn't have been able to discover myself unless I was on my own; I've also been able to experience much more world traveling than if I had a family at a young age
  • I'm really into female artists like Adele and Norah Jones
  • I drive a silver, 2003 VW Jetta, and I like to walk or metro whenever I can
  • I own my house, which is covered in beautiful, wood flooring
  • I love my job
  • My sisters and I (along with the rest of my family) get along great, and I love living so close to all of them (you're too far away, Christeeny!)
  • Tonight, for our 5th (!!) New Year's celebration, my husband and I are taking it waaaaay down. We're just going to stay in, drink champagne, and watch movies with our dog. A fantastic way to end the first decade of the millennium, and usher in the next ten years of our lives.
A lot has changed in my life over the past ten years. Pretty big changes. But, I wouldn't go back to do anything differently. I'm happy with where I am now. For me, this has been a crazy-good year, and an amazing decade.

Cheers to the New Year!!
signature

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is fun! Sure, I didn't meet you until 2 years later, but the 1999 you was very much like the 2002 you. I remember many, many nights of Justin's mission stories ...

    A lot has changed, that's for sure! But, c'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you, getting married later and being able to travel. Good for you! Life has sure changed a lot for me in the last ten years too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun to read and wow, have you really made some changes. However, I'm glad that you are very happy with almost all of the changes and think that this past decade was amazing. Doesn't get much better than that! Cheers!
    XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least you can remember 10 years ago...lol I have a hard time remembering yesterday..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. sister in arms - you're awesome. oh how time changes us - it's the ultimate healer, fortune teller and bringer of good news.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...