Thursday, January 28, 2010

Education

I liked the State of the Union last night. I really did. But, one bit distresses me.
To make college more affordable, this bill will finally end the unwarranted taxpayer-subsidies that go to banks for student loans. Instead, let’s take that money and give families a $10,000 tax credit for four years of college and increase Pell Grants. And let’s tell another one million students that when they graduate, they will be required to pay only ten percent of their income on student loans, and all of their debt will be forgiven after twenty years – and forgiven after ten years if they choose a career in public service. Because in the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college.
So... what about me? I went $40,000 into debt to become a teacher, and I've been working at a Title I (low-income) school for 4 years. What about my debt? Do I just get screwed and have to pay back everything because I chose to go into public service BEFORE promises to forgive my loans had been made? He keeps talking about rewarding people for choosing to go into public careers, but hasn't yet made any mention of those of us already there.

Harumph.
signature

5 comments:

  1. You didn't have an option like that? I know a few people who took advantage of that opportunity to pay for undergrad and grad school. That totally bites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, come on now... surely you're saying this a bit in jest... you can't imagine all policies become retroactive when instated. I do agree though, that there should be considerable effort in paying our teachers more! Now whether that's a federal or local concern is up for debate...

    regardless, from knowing you and reading your blog, I'm sure we are all very grateful, and would like to know there's more teachers like you out there willing to perform with enthusiasm (even though they're not getting a stipend from the govt!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Marcotte blogged about this earlier today and it looks like that by being vague, he may have implied something that is NOT what the intent is:

    "The plan is to stop subsidizing loans made through banks and instead lend directly (presumably still interest-free in the same parameters), which would free up $94 billion over 10 years that could go directly to students as grants."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about paying teachers more so that they are able to pay off more of their student loans instead of just forgiving whoever and whenever they have left after so much time has gone by. Who cares what they've done with the education and who cares if they didn't spend but a fraction of the loans on actual education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That part made me upset as well. And not just from my conservative, Republican side... it just seems unfair for those of us that have worked hard to pay back our loans.

    Hopefully your career is rewarding enough without as much financial benefit as you'd like.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...