Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Dear Mormons who agree with Boyd K. Packer,

I AM A STRAIGHT ALLY.

If that bothers you, stop reading.

Okay, so. You say that feeling an attraction to someone of the same gender is not a sin. But "choosing" to be happy, to live your life in a way that is true to you, to the very core, IS a sin. A right, by the way, that you have and hold dear.

Honestly, I think that's worse than just saying homosexuality is a sin. Because by asking a person - teen, tween, or otherwise - to DENY what you readily admit is NOT a choice - that being the person to which s/he is attracted - is to ask them to be a liar. And unhappy. And in eternal conflict.

Something with which you do not have to deal, because you are not gay. It's like asking me to deny the color of my skin, or my shoe size, or my height. Or asking you to marry and love a person of your same gender.

It's not who you are. In any way.

And THAT is why they are killing themselves.

PLEASE watch:




Love,
signature

1 comment:

  1. w00t w00t!

    The Liberal Agnostic Who Could has an idea I think you might be interested in (don't know if you follow/have heard of this blog): http://liberalagnostic.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-idea.html

    It's horrifying that people don't seem to be able to connect the dots. I think Dan Savage said recently, you go and vote against gay rights and you think that you're being nice and polite, but you're not. I'm getting kind of attacked (politely at least) for my recent similar post that I shared on my facebook wall.

    It's SO much easier when you can just say, "no I don't think the Bible says anything useful about the topic of sexual orientation, or God really" - they stop arguing about the Bible!! And because that's usually all they have, they just sorta give it up. And if I'm open about other things, they can't catch me in any "hypocrisy," like when they tried to get me to say polygamy/polyamory was evil so they could compare it to being gay. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...