Sunday, July 03, 2011

30 before 30: Make strawberry freezer jam

Update to my 30 before 30: #26 Make strawberry freezer jam

I have never canned anything before, because I remember my mom doing it ONE time when I was a kid. It took her ALL day and she swore she'd never do it again. BUT THEN. I saw a recipe for freezer jam on another blog recently and thought, "Wow! That seems really easy!"

So, I tried it.

And it totally was!

I just used the recipe that comes in the Sure-Jell Less Sugar pectin box. It called for 4 pints of strawberries, 3 cups of sugar, 1 box of Sure-Jell, and 1 cup of water.


First, I cut the stems off the strawberries and washed them. I ended up needing just a smidge more than two 16-oz clamshells of strawberries from the grocery.


Then, I pulsed the strawberries in a food processer and measured out 4 cups of mashed strawberry goodness.


Third, I mixed the sugar, pectin, and water in a large saucepan and brought it to a boil, stirring constantly. Once it started boiling, I cooked and stirred for a minute longer.


I immediately took it off the heat and added the strawberry mash, stirring quickly for one minute.


I used a measuring cup to help me pour the mixture into four small Bell jars.


I topped them, set them on the dining room table, and will leave them there to set for 24 hours. After that, they can go in the fridge for 3 months or the freezer for a year. Wow!


Even the clean-up was a breeze. Mom, you've got to try the freezer method!!


signature

1 comment:

  1. And now she cans like crazy. Okay maybe not as crazy as some, but she's even canning meat now. Way to go you two. Maybe someday! Haha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...