Monday, August 08, 2011

Thoughts on Nothing (or Everything)

I normally don't start dreaming about school again until about a week before I go back. Well, harumph. This morning I woke around 5:30 am from a terrible school dream that was CLEARLY influenced by the rotten group I had last year.

In the dream, I was screaming frustratingly at a class of students who just didn't see the point of being there. I kept pausing my lecture to throw yet another wandering, inattentive student into the hallway. The parts I remember consisted of: you get to come to school for FREE, you need money to have power, you need education to get money, and you're wasting your FREE access to that opportunity.

I woke up right after saying something about how the amount of pay you earn is commensurate with the level of respect others hold for your work.

I woke up agitated.

Last year really tainted me (on another note, I think it's so fun to throw the word "taint" in as often as you can... a la Stephen Colbert). Four years of absolutely loving my job, and now anger. I really need this new school year to be better.

So then, browsing through my RSS feed just this morning (after not being able to fall back to sleep, due in part to my agitation and in part to my husband's brief bout of snoring), I read this, from eSchool News:
It seems everyone has an opinion about teachers and their profession these days … and most of them aren’t teachers.
Perhaps it would be a different matter if the conceptions of teaching were like those of NASA engineers: smart, genius! Or maybe like those of firefighters: brave, self-sacrificing! However, in our nation’s current climate, saying the word “teacher” is like Forrest Gump opening a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re going to get, as teachers too often are seen as a convenient scapegoat for the perceived problems that are plaguing public education.
My thoughts:

  • Now I'm even more agitated, because everything there is true, but nobody cares. Nobody (outside of educators) will read that, and nobody will change their minds. Thanks for trying.
  • As a teacher, I get very little respect. From other professionals, from students, from administrators, and (perhaps most telling) from the "People in Charge."
  • I'm having trouble continuing to believe that it's worth it.

That is all.
signature

3 comments:

  1. ((((HUGS)))) I will be praying for a better year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my UTMOST respect. I wish all teachers were like you. Hang in there. LOVE YOU. Your most important teaching job is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth it. I have had several teachers whom I will always remember...some of whom I kept in touch with well after they retired, even until the time they passed away. You may never know what impact you have made on someones life, but if you touched the heart and mind of even one, you have influenced generations.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...