Thursday, December 29, 2011

Week 9: Thoughts from Elly

Oh my! I'm so late this week! I'll tell you all about it in my Week 10 post. First, though, I have to remember Week 9!

This week, I turned two months old. I had to go to the doctor and get a bunch of shots in my leg. It was terrible! I cried a little, but Mommy and Daddy were right there to hold me and make me feel much better! Getting shots is definitely not the best way to spend your birthday, though. I wouldn't recommend it. But Mommy told me it's because she loves me so much and wants me to be healthy so I can live a long time. I guess I can accept that!
At the appointment, my doctor wrote me a new prescription for my acid reflux since I had already run out. The next evening, Daddy went to CVS to fill it. When he brought it home, Mommy thought there was something different about it, so she compared it to my last bottle of medicine. She realized there was a mistake somewhere, because the old bottle said I should be getting 4 mL of medicine three times a day, but the new one said I should get 0.6 mL twice a day. Mommy and Daddy got really worried. Daddy called the doctor and went back to the CVS to figure things out. It turns out that my original prescription was written for 0.4 mL of medicine, but the CVS pharmacy wrote the directions wrong on the bottle!! So, for 5 1/2 weeks, Mommy had been giving me 10 times more medicine than the doctor said!! 

Mommy and Daddy were both really mad at CVS. The pharmacist apologized and admitted it was their mistake. I'd say! Daddy called Poison Control and both they and the doctor said there didn't appear to be any ill effects from taking too much of this medicine, but to keep an eye on me and hold off on giving me any more medicine for a little while. Daddy sent a complaint to the corporate offices of CVS and they responded to him right away, promising to pay for any medical bills we may have associated with this. Hopefully there won't be any medical bills over this! So far, I'm feeling okay, but we'll have to wait and see if there are any long-term effects.

Mommy and Daddy want everyone they know to hear about this huge mistake that CVS made! They say that if you shop there, and especially if you get your prescriptions filled there, you should switch to a new place. Daddy did some searching online and found out that this isn't the first time a CVS pharmacists has written the wrong dosage on a kid's medication. It's so scary!!

Moving on.

I've been getting a little bit better about taking naps during the day. Usually, Mommy still has to hold me until I fall asleep, but then she can put me in my chair and I'll sleep there for about 30-60 minutes. Sometimes my reflux bothers me during the day, so I feel much better when I'm being held, but if my chair is angled up a bit, I can do okay in it for awhile.
Also, Mommy is getting so excited that my eyelashes are finally growing! I didn't have any when I was born, probably because I came out so early! But now they're getting nice and long. Mommy loves looking at them!
Wednesday night we celebrated Winter Solstice at home with presents! I just got a few things because Mommy knew that I would be spoiled over Christmas with my grandparents (she was right!). We had a fun time, though, opening gifts and hanging out together.
 
Even Ramona got in on the action! By the end of the night, she was so tired she couldn't even lay right!!
On Thursday, Mommy took me into the school she works at so I could meet everybody. It was so much fun! We were there for a really long time because there were so many many people who were so excited to see me. That night, we drove down to Oma and Papa's house to start our Christmas celebrations. But that's for my next post.

See you again, soon!
Love,
Elly

1 comment:

  1. Good job on catching that mistake! That is so scary. Hope she still hasn't had any side affects.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...