Friday, April 12, 2013

New Baby Must-haves #1

Someone very dear to me is having her first baby in October - yay! I got to thinking about all the reading and researching I did before Elly's arrival and wanted to compile some lists of things I loved having, just to make it a little easier to wade through everything.

This is List #1, which will focus on health products I used. I'll also put together lists of baby gear, diapering, getting around, and whatever else I can think of...


one: coconut oil


This is a miracle product! I'm pretty sure I'll use it for the rest of my life. Seriously. I cloth diaper Elly and she would occasionally suffer from diaper rash when she was younger. You can't use regular diaper rash cream with cloth diapers because it makes the diapers repel water. I read somewhere that coconut oil was good for that. And oh my, was it! It's also the BEST product I found for sore, breastfeeding nipples. THE.BEST. Turns out, it's also great for acne, skin toning, and as an antibiotic cream. And it lasts forever! I bought a 16-oz jar when Elly was around 2 months old, and I haven't finished the jar, yet!


two: burt's bees baby bee diaper ointment


So, even though I cloth diaper, I didn't start until Elly was a month old. The disposables gave her really bad rashes, and I tried just about every product out there. This was absolutely the most effective - plus it's 100% natural and smells great, too!


three: nellie's all-natural laundry soda


Again, because of the cloth diapering, we wanted to find a laundry detergent that would not irritate Elly's sensitive little bum. We tried this detergent and now use it for all of our laundry! This 100-load tin costs around $16 and lasts forever - you just use one scoop per load. We have a regular washing machine, but it's also good for HE washers. If you just LOVE the smell of laundry detergent, well, this doesn't have that. There is virtually no odor at all, which I very much prefer. I find the smell of regular laundry detergent and fabric softener artificial, so this is awesome for me. They also make lavender-scented dryer sticks if you want an added scent... I haven't tried it, though.


four: biokleen bac-out sprayer


Another attempt to reduce the use of chemicals in the home, this cleaner has been awesome. It smells like lime and I feel comfortable using it both around the dog and the baby. Plus, it gets out stains surprisingly well!


five: maty's all natural baby chest rub


This is a superb, all-natural alternative to Vick's. I first purchased it to rub on Elly's chest when she had a cold, but now I put it on her most nights. The smell is so soothing and I think it really helps her fall asleep. And she still smells super tasty in the morning :)


six: alba un-petroleum jelly


I don't know why I didn't realize it first, but once I realized that petroleum jelly was made with, well, petroleum, I quickly looked for a safer alternative. This un-petroleum jelly feels and looks just like regular petroleum jelly, but without the oiliness or the skin-suffocating petroleum. It's made of castor oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and vitamin e. That's it! And it's good for mommy, too.

signature

5 comments:

  1. I never realized coconut oil had so many uses... I think I'm going to go buy some right now... I'm wondering about the moisturizing properties (since I have sensitive eczema skin and am allergic to neosporin, I often use regular petroleum jelly on cuts and dry skin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew, right? And you can even cook with it!! :)

      Delete
  2. Also do you use the bac out for anything besides diapers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. You can use it on anything - carpets, mirrors, toilets, etc. In fact, I can't even remember how long ago I last used it for the diapers... going to spritz my bag right now!!

      Delete
  3. Coconut oil and bac out are both awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...